Wednesday 5 August 2015

back to running school - week 2

The second week of running school started with a threshold run. The plan was 10 minutes warm-up, 25 minutes just under threshold (140bpm or thereabouts), with an easy warm down. I was a bit wary of the session to be honest. My marathon training over the winter and spring typically involved at least one 10 mile run per week at or above this effort level, so 25 minutes seemed a bit 'light-touch'. But, with a hard short interval session scheduled the next evening, and another hard session planned for Thursday, I rolled with it. Trust the plan and all that.

The session went well - felt good to work with a group and the 25 minutes ticked by quickly at around 6:00 min/mile pace with Phil W using some interesting and well-thought out techniques to keep people at the right effort level.

Tuesday's session was plenty of core drills and then 8 x 300m off about 2 minutes rest. This session reminded me why I had committed to 'running school' - I am shit at the short stuff. I managed to average just under 50s for each 300m, but when the reps get this short, I noticeably drop down the pecking order. I just don't seem to be able to turn my legs over quickly enough and I just run out of oxygen.

Wednesday was a 'rest day' jog home with a rucksack full of laundry - reminding me what it is like to run heavy! Hated it to be honest and felt like a total waste of time as my legs and mind were too tired. Should have just walked. Luckily I had freshened up by Thursday and celebrated with a brisk 3 mile run to training, and a nice pyramid session with the club - run at around 90% effort to save some legs for the weekend.

Ah yes, the weekend. Thunder Run time. 24 hours of pure running madness - and worthy of its own post I reckon...

No comments:

Post a Comment